U-Roy Honoured with New Posthumous Album 'Solid Gold U-Roy'
Santigold, the Clash's Mick Jones, Shaggy and more contribute
Published May 20, 2021A posthumous album from late dancehall and reggae icon U-Roy has been announced. The 12-song Solid Gold U-Roy July 16 via Trojan Jamaica/BMG.
The album's tracklist finds U-Roy collaborating with the likes of Santigold, Ziggy Marley, the Clash's Mick Jones, Robbie Shakespeare, Shaggy, Steel Pulse founder David Hinds, Big Youth, Richie Spice, Tarrus Riley, Scientist, Jesse Royal and Rygin King.
A cover of reggae standard "Man Next Door" featuring Santigold is the first song to arrive from Solid Gold U-Roy, and you can hear it below. Its accompanying video was directed by Nick Franco/1185 Films in collaboration with Trojan Jamaica co-founders Zak Starkey and Sharna "Sshh" Liguz.
"It was such an honor to get to work on this project with U-Roy, a true creator," Santigold said in a press release. "He was a major pioneer in a genre that influenced me so deeply. And it just so happened that the song I was asked to sing, 'Man Next Door,' has been a favourite of mine since I was a little girl. It felt so special to get to sing that song in particular — I knew the harmonies in my body without having to think for a second — and to hear his voice cutting through, driving the rhythm, drawing us all into his world. What a gift that I got a chance to sing on this track with him. He was one of the greats."
U-Roy passed away in February at age 78.
Solid Gold U-Roy:
1. Trenchtown Rock (ft. Ziggy Marley)
2. Man Next Door (ft. Santigold)
3. Rule the Nation (ft. Shaggy)
4. Tom Drunk (ft. Tarrus Riley)
5. Wake the Town
6. Stop That Train (ft. Rygin King)
7. Natty Rebel (Natty Rebel) [ft. David Hinds]
8. Queen Majesty (Chalice in the Palace) [ft. Robbie Shakespeare]
9. Small Axe (ft. Jesse Royal)
10. Wear You to the Ball (ft. Richie Spice)
11. Every Knee Shall Bow (Miseducation) [ft. Big Youth and Mick Jones]
12. Miseducation Every Knee Shall Bow (Scientist Dub)